- This event has passed.
Therapeutic Listening Practical Applications for Children with ASD & Complex Needs – London
February 10| gbp £199
This is a new course designed for therapists who have an understanding of Therapeutic Listening® and a variety of its music libraries. At times, therapists can struggle with the practical application of Therapeutic Listening with children with Autism spectrum disorders, severe learning difficulties and/or challenging behaviors due to the range of complexities posed by this complex client group. This course will discuss sensory and regulation differences present in children with ASD and pose a framework for embedding therapy using Therapeutic Listening within a special school environment. We’ll explore ways to train staff; monitor outcomes and understand the differences in using Therapeutic Listening with this client group. This course will also deal with some of the challenges regularly faced by therapists including:
- Assessment where standardized methods are not possible
- Barriers to intervention – hard headphones, managing equipment, length of listening time
- Choosing and using music from all aspects of the Therapeutic Listening libraries
- Using appropriate postural, respiratory and sensory activities to support programs
- Monitoring effectiveness
Evidence-based practice, case studies, videos and recorded discussions with parents, teachers and other therapists will be used to support learning.
Mabledon Place, Kings Cross
London, WC1H 9BD
Monday, February 10, 2020, 9:00am – 5:15pm BST
Introductory – Intermediate
Upon completion of the course, participants will be able to:
- Identify sensory and regulation differences in children with Autism spectrum disorder and how they impact occupational performance.
- Select a variety of tools for monitoring effectiveness of Therapeutic Listening within a school setting.
- Recognize best practices for how to embed treatment programs within a school curriculum.
- List three strategies for working with children who have difficulty wearing headphones.
Scroll down for Registration Information.